Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Bonzo Dog Band - The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse (Liberty Records, 1968)


Sometimes when I listen to this band, I can't help but laugh. You can't really take them seriously at all. Then again, its a comedy band made by british art students. The Bonzo Dog Band started out in the 60s as a jazz band. The lead singer, Vivian Stanshall, is the star of the band. When they played live shows, he would make vulgur jokes about Jesus and do a striptease to the audiance. Since their shows and their music caught so much attention, The Beatles got them in their movie, "Magical Mystery Tour". In the movie, they sang "Death Cab for Cutie" from their first album Gorilla. Hmm that name sounds familiar....

Most of the songs on The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse are challenging to listen to. Half of the time, you don't know what the fuck is going on but you have to remind yourself ,"this is a comedy band." Most of the songs are written by Neil Innes, who worked a lot with Monty Python. He is such a great musician and singer. I guess you could say Innes is the Paul McCartney of the band and Stanshall could be....Ringo Starr? (Only kidding. I love Ringo.)

Even though most of the songs are crazy as fuck, The Bonzo Dog Band are very talented musicians. One of the songs that really show their musicianship is on the track "Humanoid Boogie". I don't even know what the song is about. Its like The Beatles song "I Am The Walrus". You can listen to it a thousand times and you'll never understand it.

If you want to listen to something that will just mess with your brain and make you laugh, listen to The Bonzo Dog Band. You'll be in for a ride.

[Buy The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse from Amazon]
[Watch The Bonzo Dog Band scene from The Beatles movie "Magical Mystery Tour"]

2 comments:

  1. the beatles were on drugs... lots of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to the extent to fuck up their music.
    they said they tried making music on drugs and it never worked out well.

    ReplyDelete