Friday, July 3, 2009

Ghosts & Mysteries - OVNI Popcorn (Philosophy Dads, 2009)

I don't really know much about this release. There's barely any info on this out there and this popped up in my inbox so I decided to grab it. Ghosts & Mysteries is definitely something I wouldn't recommend to somebody although I personally enjoy this. It's very repetitive, unlistenable, and charming.

However, if you're fond of Black Dice or whoever their contemporaries are, definitely something to get into. From the information that was listed, it said that this was recorded in Santiago de Chile using a laptop and sampler. It doesn't really explain much, the laptop and sampler are very prominent on OVNI Popcorn. To explain the album's "charms" I mean that there are melodies shown through all of this repetition and racket. In fact, they're very song-oriented.

There are swirling, soft and even sometimes memorable melodies and subtleties throughout. This is also a little like early Animal Collective. You know, so much noise and commotion; on the other hand, it's cute. And that's what OVNI Popcorn is. Cute, poppy... and annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment