Wednesday, April 14, 2010

//TENSE// - Introducing EP (Desire Records, 2010)


Bejaysus! Where have I been says you? I've had all sorts o' troubles says I. Oh really well get back to the whole reviewing lark what yer here fer to be doing. Aye, says I.

*returns to listening and reviewing*

GREAT SCOTT I'VE BEEN TRANSPORTED BACK TO THE MIDDLE OF THE 1980s! Maybe I can assassinate both Thatcher and Reagan, maybe I can change things! Sadly none of that is true, however much I hate Thatcher and Reagan's economic policies they don't deserve to die. Just removed from power but this leads me off track. Yes I'm once again delving deep and supping from the waters of the great lake hyperbole.

This album opens with some sort of cross between Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Human League and Gary Numan. (If I've left some very obvious influence out of that list comment and tell me. Especially if you tell me where the drumbeat sample on the first track is from, it's escapin my head.) So where was I, ah yes, this is very very 80s in its sense, sound, feel, texture etc. It leads me to question is this an album that's relevant to the modern day? It's a sound we've all heard before, it's a style we've all heard before and quite frankly they did it better in the 80s. The lyrical content can't save this album "Last night I got a knock on the door/Took a second to peel myself off the floor/ He said we've come to take you away" it only gets worse from there. So what does this album achieve, if anything? Well it marries a certain depressing lack of skill, ability or talent when it comes to lyric writing (I'm not saying I'm a genius but this album could rival U2's "Elevation" when it comes to terrible lyrics) with a heaping large teaspoon of nostalgia. If you've a thing for 80s synth pop then this'll be right up yer alley, otherwise I can't say it shows much in the way of differentiation, originality or creativity.

They don't change vocal or instrumental style at all throughout, you have one bit part way through where you've got some noise work coming in but it's out of place, it feels wrong and forced. This is an album that's so 80s nostalgic that it could be a piss take. Get it if that's your thing but otherwise there's nothing new or worth listening to here.

5 comments:

  1. You are obviously a fucking idiot!
    You have no idea what you are even talking about.. you don't even know what you are referencing.
    Do yourself a favor and stop writing reviews, you are exposing yourself as the fucktard that you are!

    MKF- BIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to prove a point; coming from someone who just closed their comment with "BIIIIIIIIIIIITCH," I think you're quite the worthwhile source on what's good and what's not good. Grow up, it's just an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I appreciate all views. I will only say this:

    There are no drum 'samples' on this ep.

    Sometimes people let their momentary anger dictate comments on the internet.

    And, it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it to be a sample because I swear by the balls o St. Christopher I've heard the drumtrack on the first song before.

    That person can say as they please, they're entitled to their opinion as I am mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opinion is like a dump, everyone has one.

    ReplyDelete