Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Domo Genesis & The Alchemist - No Idols (Self-Released, 2012)


Now, this isn't the first time that I'll say I think Domo Genesis is the most talented member of Odd Future (alongside Mike G), and after Domo's newest mixtape with the legendary Alchemist, it's certainly not going to be the last. I may be a little biased because for about two months before this mixtape dropped, my Twitter feed was so filled with hype for this I had to unfollow Domo. So when I finally got to hear it, I was excited, but I really didn't think it would blow me away as much as it did.

It should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with The Alchemist that the best part of this mixtape is its production. The beats are complex yet elegant, every sample is perfectly placed, and the use of vocal effects is sublime. But again, that should come as no surprise to anyone. What is surprising is how hard Domo spits it. On the Odd Future tracks I've heard him on he always rips it harder than anyone else, but always seems overshadowed by the other members. Indeed, most of OF's work as a group seems crowded and rushed, but the solo efforts are usually pretty decent. No Idols, though, really lets Domo shine through as one of the most talented rappers in the game today.

A lot of critics were quick to dismiss Domo's solo work and work in MellowHigh as weed-worship rap, having a strain of medical named after him (Domo OG) and his obviously THC drenched lyrics, and rightly so, but No Idols breaks from that formula a little, but not much. True, No Idols is definitely a tape to smoke to, but I feel it could be enjoyed by 'non-heads' just as easily. I really see No Idols as a turning point in Domo's carrer, and I can't wait to see where he goes next.



[Domo Genesis Twitter]
[Download No Idols from Domo's Tumblr]

No comments:

Post a Comment