Sunday, July 26, 2009

Talbot Tagora - Lessons In The Woods Or A City (Hardly Art, 2009)


Talbot Tagora have been stirring up some talk around the web. I often try to avoid bands like this, but the moment the "no wave" tag is slapped on, I can't help myself but take a listen and sure enough my ears were pleased.

Talbot Tagora are nothing original really, in fact they sound almost identical to Bipolar Bear (whom they've shared a split with) and mildly similar to Abe Vigoda circa Kid City or Sky Route Star Roof. By this, I mean they have an innocent post-punk vibe but also being slightly amateurish, no matter how tightly constructed and focused the music may sound. I only have two complaints, one of which is very mild, and the other I've mentioned several times.

Former: the sound is a little crappy. And why say that if you enjoy lo-fi music? The way the music is, it should match the fidelity. I mean the sound is a bit murky, as if the band recorded in a gymnasium and put the microphone on one side of the gym and they performed on the other. Latter: the tracks do stick together and become a little too cohesive. Although, after about half of the album is over the band becomes self-aware of the unnecessary consistency and adds as much as they can; just enough to still sound like the same band you heard earlier.

Definitely for people who like their post-punk with a reverberated tinge to it. If you do decide to purchase this album, make sure to look into their previous releases which are just as good, if not better.

1 comment:

  1. saw them open for abe vigoda and had to walk out, theyre awful

    ReplyDelete